Demonstrating the best of Scout Spirit, this group mobilizes our Packs, Troops, and Crews to “give back” in service to the people and environment of Anne Arundel County. Experienced Scouters serve as coordinators for several civic-minded community support activities held throughout the year. Scouts participating in these activities earn Service Hours toward advancement, help their units earn the Journey to Excellence Award, and the time may qualify as service hours required for high school graduation. Unit Leaders, Scouters, and parents interested in participating in community service projects may contact the committee members below.
|Kinderfarm Park Festival||Kurt Godfrey||410-320-2694|
|Flag Placement||TJ Furlong|
|Scouting for Food||Vacant|
District Chaplain & Religious Activities Committee
Aids the Scouts and their leaders to fulfill their “Duty to God”, as stated in our Scout Oath and our obligation to the twelfth point of the Scout Law; to be “Reverent”. Lord Baden Powell, the founder of the Boy Scouts stated, “The whole Scouting movement is based on religion, that is, on the realization a service to God”.
The Chaplain and committee aids in this endeavor by promoting and enabling;
The training of Chaplain Aides
· Identification of scouting religious awards
· Recruiting Scouts and Counselors
· Suggestions for implementation
· Connecting units with the various PRAY (Programs of Religious Activities) Awards
· Promoting the Baltimore Area Council’s ecumenical “God and World Award”
Identifying and distributing BSA faith based publications
Identifying and strengthening faith based chartering communities
Resourcing “Scout’s Own” religious services throughout our District and Council
Promoting District and Council Religious events such as “A Scout is Reverent Retreat”, and the “Council Faith Walk”
Religious Activities Committee
Chaplain Tim Mullady
Religious Emblems Jennifer Danko
District Communications Committee
This Committee’s mission is to “Get the Word Out” by any and all modern means We are seeking volunteers to take on our multimedia communications and photography functions.
- Amateur Radio Coordinator – outreach to Anne Arundel “Ham Radio” communicators to support District events, provide community support, offer Jamboree on the Air
- Blast Coordinator – coordinates our email ListServe direct email service to all subscribed Leaders and parents
- Facebook Admin – administers the River Hawk District Facebook page to provide information and photos to our youth, leaders, and parents
- Web Developer – establishes the look and feel of the website, ensuring ease of use, standardization, and layout
- Webmaster – maintains the River Hawk District Website; ensuring that content is loaded correctly and timely
|Amateur Radio Coordinator||Bruce McPherson||410-456-2500|
|Blast Email ListServe Coordinator||Vacant|
|Facebook Page Administrator|
Each year River Hawk scouts go door to door to collect non-perishable food items to restock area food pantries to help our neighbors.
River Hawk Scouts honor those Veterans buried at the Crownsville Veterans Cemetery by joining with scouts from across Anne Arundel County to place a flag on the grave of every Veteran buried there.
Wreaths Across America
Operation Welcome Home
Hundreds of our Sailors, Airmen, Soldiers and Marines return from the military actions in Iraq and Afghanistan every week through the gates of the Baltimore/Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport. From January 2009 through October 2009, Operation Welcome Home volunteers have greeted 168 flights and 34,329 Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen and Marines, an average of 233 per flight! Bob Hogan, our District coordinator for this community service invites you to come on out and help welcome them home!
Take a look at Operation Welcome Home Marylands event calendar to see the current month’s event dates, or call their hotline at (410) 630-1555 for recorded information about the next event. Be sure to call the hotline again before you leave for the airport, to confirm the flight has not been delayed or cancelled.
Thank you for considering this valuable community service project!