Each year, River Hawk District recognizes the outstanding efforts of the many volunteers who contribute significantly to their units and the district. In addition, deserving youth are recognized for their contributions to Scouting. These awards are presented at the Annual District Dinner in June. Nominations are due by the end of May of the year the award is to be presented.
The District Award of Merit
This is the only BSA national award presented to registered adult volunteer Scouters who render service of an outstanding nature at the District level, to include service beyond Scouting. Award of Merit winners are recognized in a special ceremony that is the highlight of our District Dinner. Recipients earn a plaque, certificate, lapel pin, and an embroidered overhand silver on dark blue award knot to be worn on the Scout uniform above the left pocket. If you’d like to nominate a worthy Scouter for the Award of Merit, please fill out the nomination form with supporting documentation and contact the District Distinguished Awards Committee Chair,
District Venturing Youth Service Award
Venturing is a BSA co-educational program for older high school and college aged youth organized into Crews, who essentially develop and manage their own programs, supported by an adult Advisor. This unique District-level award recognizes a Venturing youth leader whose exceptional service extends beyond their own Crew: providing service at District level between Crews, service to the community as a whole, and/or to the Baltimore Area Council. If you would like to nominate a Venturer for this award, please provide their name, Crew number, and a written justification for the award to the District Dinner Coordinator, at Roundtable. If you need more information about this award, or the Venturing program in general, please contact the District Venturing Commissioner.
Other District Awards
Individuals and units can also nominate outstanding Scouters for other District Awards, to be presented at the River Hawk District Dinner. Just fill out the nomination form and attach written justification for your award candidates. Bring to the April or May Roundtables, email the form and justifications to the District Dinner Coordinator.
District Awards include:
- Cub Scout Unit Leader of the Year (Den Leader, Cubmaster, or Committee Chair)
- Scouts BSA Unit Leader of the Year (Scoutmaster, Assistant Scoutmaster, or Committee Chair)
- Venturing Leader of the Year (Advisor, Assistant Advisor, or Committee Chair)
- Scouting Family of the Year (An entire family representing the ideals of Scouting)
- Unit Volunteer Award (A Committee member or parent volunteer who helps “above and beyond”)
- Unsung Scouting Hero Award (A behind-the-scenes volunteer who deserves special recognition)
- Spirit Spark Award (A volunteer or parent who especially demonstrates Scout Spirit.)